[3dem] Information, Resolution, FSC, ... All you ever wanted to know!

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:50:52 PDT 2020

 Dear All,

We have just posted an important paper on Information Theory in the context
of Harvesting new Information in the imaging sciences, in (arXiv)!

Any image one collects in a microscope, or 3D image in X-ray tomography,
X-ray crystallography,  for example, is covered by this comprehensive
theory.

A list of issues discussed or new concepts introduced:
Instrumental Resolution, Information Theory, Information Harvesting,
Signal-to-Noise Ratio, SNR, Shannon Nyquist sampling theorem,
Janus Apodization Rule, Abbe’s resolution, Number of degrees of Freedom,
Gabor transforms, Local Information Density, LID, Results Resolution,
Fourier Ring Correlation, Fourier Shell Correlation, DQE,
Fourier Ring Information, The Isotropic Nyquist Frequency, Fourier Shell
Information,
Transducer Information Efficiency, TIE, Relative TIE,
The Gabor-Heisenberg Uncertainty principle, Under-sampling,
Wrap-around Artefacts, Viral Glycosylation, the Rose equation, R-factors
Channel Capacity, CC50, etc …

A 43-pages single-spacing long story, but it is accessible to most
scientists working in this field
and it does resolve  many outstanding issues in the imaging sciences!
Just reading the abstract is enough to get a gist of the port of the
matter.

More than just two pennies worth (we hope),
Cheers
Marin

(PS: we have applied for the necessary patents...)

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.03223__;!!Mih3wA!XNGYBlbXd-RG_10dWTVQjw8BVgsF6210FAPrxOzUBio04V3JsopfjTX5pMbPL3Nw4w$
Google  "arXiv" for  "Information: to Harvest, to Have and to Hold"
by:  Marin van Heel, and Michael Schatz
or see my Twitter account!