[3dem] Online study group for learning cryoEM math

Geoffrey Woollard geoff.woollard at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Nov 13 12:49:38 PST 2020

I'd like to launch an online study group for learning cryoEM math for
what's left of 2020 and 2021.

- Are you a methods developer and are looking for a learning community with
both computational literacy and domain knowledge of cryoEM?
- Are you a grad student and want to push yourself to be an expert on the
mathematics of cryoEM? Do you want to be able to follow the discussion of
experts and know all the ins and outs of Fourier transforms, aliasing,
B-factors and electron optics?
- Are you a facility manager, postdoc, research associate, etc and are
looking to go deeper into the fundamentals, keep learning about the
bleeding edge, and give back to newbies?
- Are you attending all sorts of cryoEM talks, webinars, and research
venues, but still are confused about the same things and can't find someone
to unconfuse you?
- Do you enjoy learning with others in live back-and-forth exchanges
- Do you have plenty of material to read, but want to talk with other
people with audio and video chat, grasp the nuances, go deeper into
subtleties, and build your intuition?
- Do you want to commit to some serious guided self-study, and belong to a
group of fellow learners?

If so, then you are in good company! Let's form an online group of like
minded learners, because learning is social!

Please fill out this survey on educational background and interest going
forward to help the initial planning.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/BUeUW14vV4pyQbDDA__;!!Mih3wA!VUDqTyDruHGfW4mxCUEHLcCJkjd3ZAe8fXq2NnWb9QYlOpgsnscgsvkF0F6gUjvZDA$

I've had this idea for a while, and for now, this is a mere personal
initiative. Some fellow attendees of the recent S²C² CryoEM CCP-EM Workshop
- Nov. 10-13, 2020 have expressed interest. Also, other researchers local
to me in Toronto, Canada, have expressed interest.

There will be some online meetings in 2020 leading up to the January 2021
publication of a new cryoEM textbook by Wah Chiu, Robert Glaeser and Eva
Nogales. I haven't seen it yet, but I really liked Robert Glaeser's 2007
textbook, and this new one will be up to date.

Again, please fill out the survey.

--
Geoffrey Woollard, MSc
PhD student