[3dem] New content on EM-learning.com

Matthijn VOS matthijn.vos at pasteur.fr
Wed May 27 00:19:28 PDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We are happy to announce that we have now added self-tests and a final exam to our online cryo-EM course https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://em-learning.com/__;!!Mih3wA!V2bJRcETLriF_ZelTzmToD2NzO4i8rBco-fLFTwVx6xYOL0eX8tOHDrVPi-S4zQH3A$ .  In the “learning” section of the website each of the modules now has a “self-assessment” button in the upper right corner. This button presents the user with 10 multiple-choice questions about that module. The questions and possible answers are drawn randomly from a large library, however, so the test will be different every time you take it.

There is also now a comprehensive final exam at the end which will present 40 randomly selected, multiple-choice questions about all the modules. Upon completion, it will show a score, the questions presented, and the correct answers. Users, instructors, and facility managers can decide what score is acceptable (a “pass”), and how to use the results: you might require a certain score before one-on-one training, or use the scores to prioritize students for a course. In our experience the students find the exam to be rather challenging. Please send us comments about the questions and answers so we can fix errors and improve the library generally over time. (You can send your findings/suggestions to matthijn.vos at pasteur.fr)

We have also added some new videos on inserting side-entry cryo-holders into Talos instruments. A few weeks ago there was a discussion on 3D-EM about how to do this. Please note that there are important differences betwen Talos and Tecnai vacuum systems, so how you insert the cryo-holder is also different. Never turn the holder and the compustage at the same time: first tilt the holder to the insert position and insert it into the column, then reset the compustage to zero tilt.

Please stay tuned for more videos to come on tomography and other topics.

Have fun!

Matthijn and Grant