[3dem] weird server issues, suggestions/advice would be helpful!

Shigematsu, HIDEKI hideki.shigematsu at riken.jp
Mon Mar 23 15:54:51 PDT 2020

Hi Liz,

I have similar symptom with 4GPU box of 2080Ti. I put two 1000W PSU in this box one for 3 GPUs and the other for 1 GPU and Ryzen Thread ripper 32core. When I set to limit the power consumption of GPUs to 250W, it last longer. And one of my friend has the same issue with same config but he hooked PSU to 100V power supply. Now, he switched one of the PSU to 1600W and it works fine.
I think you should better try to limit the power of the GPUs by using
nvidia-smi -pl 250
or remove some of GPUs from the machine to see whether it works with some GPU jobs.
Worst case scenario is that you have the PSU which has limit in the power supply for the specific port for PCI-e devices, in that case, limiting the power consumption to the GPU might work but removing some of GPUs does’t work.

Best,

Hideki
----
Hideki Shigematsu Ph. D.

RIKEN SPring-8 Center, Life Science Research Infrastructure Group
1-1-1 Kouto Sayo-cho Sayo-gun, Hyogo 679-5148 Japan
Phone +81-791-58-0803 (Ext.7868)
FAX +81-791-58-2834