[3dem] Open postdoc position in gene regulation, Bernecky group (IST Austria)

Carrie Bernecky carrie.bernecky at ist.ac.at
Thu Jun 25 05:12:02 PDT 2020

Dear all,

We are re-opening our search posted just before the COVID-19 shutdown.

A postdoctoral position is available at the Institute of Science and
Technology (IST) Austria to study the structure and function of
intellectual-disability associated proteins and their involvement in
chromatin modification.

The project is a collaboration between two groups at IST: the Bernecky
group, which studies the structural basis of transcriptional and
post-transcriptional gene regulation, and the Novarino group, which
focuses on the genetic and molecular basis of neurodevelopmental
disorders. The goal of the joint project will be to elucidate molecular
mechanisms responsible for the development of autism and intellectual
disability. The successful candidate will use biochemical, structural,
and genomic techniques to investigate a frequently mutated protein and
how it may link transcription and chromatin modification.

We are looking for a highly motivated scientist holding a Ph.D. in
structural biology or biochemistry. Candidates should have experience in
recombinant protein expression and purification of multi-subunit protein
complexes. Experience in chromatin biology, nucleosome reconstitution,
and/or cryo-electron microscopy is a plus.

Our facilities include several transmission electron microscopes (TEMs)
for negative stain and cryo-EM sample screening, including a FEI Tecnai
12 (120 kV) equipped with a CCD camera and a Thermo Fisher Glacios
cryo-TEM (200 kV) equipped with a Falcon III direct electron detector. A
300-kV Thermo Fisher Titan Krios TEM equipped with state-of-the-art
direct electron detectors (Falcon III, K3) is available for
high-resolution data collection.

If you are interested, please send a cover letter CV, and references to
Carrie Bernecky (carrie.bernecky at ist.ac.at) by August 15, 2020.

Best,
Carrie

_Links:_
Biochemistry @ IST: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://biochemistry.ist.ac.at/__;!!Mih3wA!RYQ3KoSYEhRouqwuWZKER4S7EyQezHY8fwodQt3pJD3sewFCRbuI1RaSxnk-8NeoLA$
Cryo-EM @ IST: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://cryo-em.ist.ac.at/__;!!Mih3wA!RYQ3KoSYEhRouqwuWZKER4S7EyQezHY8fwodQt3pJD3sewFCRbuI1RaSxnkMSUaR0g$
Facilities @ IST: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ist.ac.at/en/research/scientific-service-units/__;!!Mih3wA!RYQ3KoSYEhRouqwuWZKER4S7EyQezHY8fwodQt3pJD3sewFCRbuI1RaSxnmyy8UAZg$
Bernecky group: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ist.ac.at/en/research/bernecky-group/__;!!Mih3wA!RYQ3KoSYEhRouqwuWZKER4S7EyQezHY8fwodQt3pJD3sewFCRbuI1RaSxnlACxhm9g$
Novarino group: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ist.ac.at/en/research/novarino-group/__;!!Mih3wA!RYQ3KoSYEhRouqwuWZKER4S7EyQezHY8fwodQt3pJD3sewFCRbuI1RaSxnn0vqn6EQ$

--
Carrie Bernecky
Institute of Science and Technology Austria