[3dem] Gatan K3 reliability issues

Marcus FISLAGE Marcus.Fislage at vub.be
Thu Jun 25 00:03:31 PDT 2020

Hi Terje,

I made end of last year a similar survey and from that it seems that it’s a game of hit and miss sometimes.
Plenty of people reported no problems whatsoever, while other (although the minority) reported mainly problems with the chip.
We are currently waiting for our third chip to be installed (luckily all were just still in warranty). And I think with a waiting time of 1-2 month you are on the faster side.
The biggest problem is that we always have one channel (or parts of it) which return only a  black bar in the final image. However, the strength of this “blackness” seems to vary by frame.

And as Craig mentioned, the K2 was definitely not without flaws either and even with the defect we have more usable area on our K3 than with the K2.

Cheers
Marcus
_______________________________
Dr. Marcus Fislage

EM Manager
VIB-Center for Structural Biology
VUB (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
Building P1T, room 0.02
Pleinlaan 2
1050 BRUSSELS

Phone: +32 2 629 1807
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.becm.be__;!!Mih3wA!XgTljZP8ww29gGirQIdFgEmyW8QCc3IzMv8Tl4J760sjRBx3xdRZai-xUwI6VD6yuA$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.becm.be__;!!Mih3wA!XgTljZP8ww29gGirQIdFgEmyW8QCc3IzMv8Tl4J760sjRBx3xdRZai-xUwI6VD6yuA$ >
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/BECM_VIB__;!!Mih3wA!XgTljZP8ww29gGirQIdFgEmyW8QCc3IzMv8Tl4J760sjRBx3xdRZai-xUwI0gL0Z9Q$