[3dem] magnification question

Mike Strauss mike.strauss at mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 24 10:49:53 PDT 2020

I agree with Wim, magnification is not terribly useful by itself.

To clarify some terminology:

detector pixel size - this is the size of the pixel on the chip. Eg. 14 um for a Falcon 3 camera, and 5 um for a K3
image pixel size - the size this pixel represents in the image. If I understand him correctly, this is the calibrated pixel size Wim is talking about.

In TEM, the magnification is determined by the ratio of the two.  Mag = detector pixel size / image pixel size    As a thought experiment - a microscope with a K3 mounted on the same plane as a Falcon 3 would give images of the same magnification, but would sample the image plane differently (Field of view is different, and sampling frequency is different).

The term “physical pixel size”, although common, is sometimes used to describe the image pixel size (as Wim did previously) and sometimes the detector pixel size (the physical dimensions of the pixels on the sensor chip). It is usually context that dictates what is meant by physical pixel size, so be careful of this term

Regards,
mike

--------
Mike Strauss