[3dem] SubAngstrom Electron Dose Rate Calculator

Michael Elbaum michael.elbaum at weizmann.ac.il
Wed Jun 24 00:05:08 PDT 2020

It can be useful to make an estimate in advance based on the screen current with the sample withdrawn. The current in Amperes divided by the charge of the electron (1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs) is the flux in electrons/sec. Divide that by the field of view in Ang^2 and multiply by the exposure time to get the dose in e/Ang^2.

For semantics, "flux" describes a current crossing a surface and has units "per area per time". After multiplying by the time we're left with the dose of electrons per unit area, without the rate.

best,

Michael