[3dem] Artica/Krios question

Morgan, David Gene dagmorga at indiana.edu
Wed Jun 17 14:49:31 PDT 2020

Hi,

    We have a chronic problem with our Talos Artica sending out "optics board degraded" error messages.  There is an easy reset for this, except that at least for our system, the Falcon camera can't be used after resetting the optics board unless one also does a microscope server reboot.  Which my engineer says means I need to shut down and restart the FEG.  So it's not an easy fix.

    This seems to happen once every few weeks, maybe once per month.  Except that yesterday, it happened three times within about two hours.  [I reset the optics but didn't use the Falcon, for those of you wondering how I could restart the FEG that quickly... ]  It didn't happen today at all, so the error really seems to be happening randomly.

    My engineer says that the most likely cause of this is interruptions to the chilled water supply, but I have not been able to identify any sort of problem with flow, chilling, etc.  Has anyone else seen similar chronic issues with this error?

    Thanks for any advice you can offer.

--
    politics is more difficult than physics.
                                             A. Einstein

            David Gene Morgan
        Electron Microscopy Center
             047E Simon Hall