[3dem] Hexamer dissociate while freezing Cryo-EM grids

Reinhard Rachel Reinhard.Rachel at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Jun 5 07:28:12 PDT 2020

>>> 05.06.2020 at 15:05:
> The pH of UA is ~4. The common buffer for protein sample is pH ~6-8.

this provokes an answer. This is questionable, IMO! many proteins investigated
are cytosolic proteins (yes, not all, I know).
The pH inside the cytoplasm is at around 6 or 6.5, but not higher than 7 - and
thus, the TRIS-buffered solution with a pH of 7.4 or higher as  often used are
not physiological (at all). Whether this is bad for the protein or not? I do
not know. BUT, keep this in mind.

> Depending on the settings of staining method, the lower pH can be buffered!?

It is questionable whether a UAc solution with a buffer at pH >5 (or 6 or 7)
is "stable"? I would not want to try out. - What happens with the UO2 ion
(which in UAc solutions are complexed by acetate ions)? often, it precipitates.
Just note that UO2 ions are less / barely soluble in the presence of carbonate
(CO3 (2-)), and Phosphate is even worse. precipitation ...

> Moreover, Uranyl acetate acts as a fixative,

it is not a chemical fixative - no, not like Formaldehyde or Glutaraldehyde.
If you use the term 'fixative', you should say what you mean. It is a kind of
bringing the protein close to its iso-electric point (pH 4.5 +/-), where the
protein is at its point of "lowest solubility". Is it what you mean with
"fixative"?

> preserving many protein-protein
> interactions on a millisecond time scale.

I would say - arresting or reducing the protein's flexibility and
functionality ... they get out of their physiological status ...

> Thus, can you give us some
> explosion of UA staining affecting the structure? the overall structure or
> secondary structure?

by getting close to the iso-electric point, I do not predict how much the
tertiary or secondary structure is altered. Is it altered??  It is just the
ionic groups in the side chains, which become less charged, less polar. Is this
denaturation? not necessarily.
just my 2 Euro-cents

kind regards,
reinhard

--
Prof. Dr. Reinhard Rachel
University of Regensburg
mail reinhard.rachel at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
office: VKL 3.1.29
member of the IFSM board

Next microscopy conferences:
- cancelled: EMC2020 in Kopenhagen, 23.-28.8. 2020 (European conference)
- MC2021 in Vienna (D-A-CH conference)
- IMC20 in Busan, South Korea: Sept 25-30, 2022
- next Microbiol. conferences:  VAAM March 2021 Düsseldorf