[3dem] Hexamer dissociate while freezing Cryo-EM grids

Ed Morris Ed.Morris at icr.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 13:15:50 PDT 2020

???Dear Umar

One thing that could be worth checking is to image a range of ice thicknesses in your existing cryo grids. If you are just imaging in the thinnest ice it may be that you have excluded your hexamer and are just seeing smaller complexes. In that case the hexamers may be hiding in thicker ice.

This has happened to me in the past and I initially mistakenly concluded that large particles seen in negative stain were being replaced by subcomplexes when I went I imaged in cryo. On checking the thicker ice I realised that this was not in fact the case.

Best wishes

Ed Morris