[3dem] Insertion of Holder 626

Matthijn VOS matthijn.vos at pasteur.fr
Tue Feb 25 00:17:48 PST 2020

Dear All,

The vacuum system of the Talos is significantly different than that of the old Tecnai. Since a turbo pump has been removed it is required to remove most of the water that one introduces to the microscope with the stage pumping. The Talos L120 has a split flow pumping to the stage, this means that a turbo pump is now pumping the airlock. This should be used and therefor the pumping of the airlock should be set to maximum.

If you have a correct functioning Gatan 626 holder, it should keep its temperature. By tilting to -55 or -60 (does not really matter) you will have the holder at an angle (and not up side down) when inserting, thus some liquid nitrogen remains in the holder. This should be enough to keep the holder temp low for 3 min pumping.

A holder of -150 degree is probably already devitrifying the sample, since the tip is going to be warmer that what is measured (the measurement is not at the tip). In the past we had on purpose warmed up holders to see the effect on the sample. Around -150 we could see the sample starting to change with the so called “leopard skin” formation first and then dark black spots. Upon insertion and during pumping the holder should not warm up much. Most well behaving 626 holders should be colder than -170.

Then the insertion. The “old” of holding the holder with one hand while tilting back to zero should NOT be used. The problem with this method is that people tend to pull or push the holder to one side and while rotating the stage simultaneously, the chances of leakage is higher. It is better to:

While at -55 degrees after the airlock pump time of 3 minutes and the red light is off (don’t forget to select and confirm the holder in the UI), you slowly turn the holder to the column insertion position without turning the stage! You do this very very gentility. At about 1/3 of the way the airlock wil open. You need to watch the vacuum and the moment you see it go up, you wait and stop turning. You keep the holder with your hand at that position and wait for the vacuum to go down again.  Then you continue and it will spike again. You wait again. Continue doing this until you can go in. When in, you rotate the stage back to 0 degree.

The cryo box needs to be inserted and cooled since it is the most effective pump for water!

For the Talos 200KV side entry there is no split flow. It will almost certain overload the igp. Therefore this system has a check option for inserting cryo-holders that switches off the igp temporary during insertion and will wait for the vacuum to recover and the cryo-box to “pump away” the inserted water, before switching back on. The procedure as described above for insertion is the same though.

I always checked the o-ring fir any particles and removed them. I never used grease.

I will see if I can still get a hold of an instruction video for side entry insertion and otherwise i’ll make one during the upcoming cold spring harbor cryo-EM course in march.

I hope this helps: a Talos is not a Tecnai, the vacuum system is different.

Cheers

Matthijn Vos