[3dem] Insertion of Holder 626

Lars-Anders Carlson lars-anders.carlson at umu.se
Mon Feb 24 05:34:35 PST 2020

Hi Ariel,
Is that a Talos 120? Our Talos 120 has the worst airlock mechanism of
any scope I've used. Just in terms of the tactile aspects it feels more
"flimsy" than e.g. Tecnais did. New users find it difficult to insert
even the RT holder, and although I'm fine with the RT holder I've almost
never managed to insert the 626 without a vacuum break. So we rarely use
this scope for cryo, for this reason.

As for how you do it, I would consider trying a shorter pumping time
(try 60 or 90 s) and just accepting that the vacuum will crash (since it
will anyway). Once the holder is in you can refill it and then it won't
warm up that much.

Another thing that may help is to pretilt the stage when you're
inserting the holder, in case you aren't already doing this.

If none of this helps, you may have a problem with the shutter of the 626.

Hope this helps,
Lars

--
Lars-Anders Carlson