[3dem] [ccp4bb] [ccpem] Which resolution?

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 12 17:45:44 PST 2020

Dear Pavel,
Your paper is one of the more elaborate ones on the issue with an
exhaustive list of references! No wonder, since some 20 years ago, Bruno
Klaholtz was a very successful post-doc in my group at Imperial in London.
However, I have discussed this paper with Bruno at our Brazil School in
2018 and I pointed out to him that your use of fixed-valued FSC thresholds
makes that your paper, like 95% of the papers on resolution in our field,
implicitly is based on the "sloppy statistics" of others, namely that the
inner product between signal and noise vectors cannot be neglected. As long
as those "sloppy statistics" papers are not taken from the literature,
years or decades after they have been refuted, and the criticism against
them is simply ignored or belittled, incorrect follow-up research along the
same sloppy pathways is the consequence, and that is so sad...
Sorry,
Marin