[3dem] what is the ideal B factor?

Alexis Rohou a.rohou at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:47:18 PDT 2020

Dear Paulina,

Thank you for your contribution. I am afraid I am not in a position to
truly appreciate your work, but I wonder if you could answer the following
question about simulating Guinier plots.

When I computed my idealized Guinier plot of a protein (well, the part of
it beyond 0.1 Å^-1), I used my understanding of Wilson statistics (that the
average intensity in a frequency band is the sum of the squared structure
factors over all atoms in the structure) to compute intensities based on
the sums of scattering factors, where the factors I used came from Peng,
Ren, Dudarev, Whelan (Acta Cryst 1996 A52, 257-276, Table 1). I then took
the square root and plotted it on a ln scale as a function of q^2, the
squared spatial frequency. This gave me something very similar to what can
be seen in figure 1 of Rosenthal & Henderson (2003): an approximately
straight line with a negative slope. My question to you: would you expect
this slope (which I interpret as being a feature of the underlying
scattering factors) to be more, or less, negative if I had used more
accurate structure factors or simulation techniques?

Sorry if the above question is naive - just trying to understand the basics
and this is not a part of the literature I am familiar with.

Cheers,
Alexis