[3dem] RAID array on K3 server

Dokland, Terje dokland at uab.edu
Thu Oct 31 14:39:14 PDT 2019

Does anybody have experience setting up the RAID array on the server that comes with the Gatan K3 camera? This computer has 10 SSDs in a RAID array that is used for data capture. However, the standard setup is in RAID 0 (striping), which means that if one drive fails, the data on all 10 drives are lost. While this is presumably done for added speed, this doesn’t seem necessary, since you can equally well save the data to one of the other drives or even to an external USB drive with no noticable reduction in speed.

It seems to me that it would make a lot more sense to format the drives in RAID 1 for data redundancy (or even without RAID), so I’m curious if anybody has done that or if there is a paritcular problem doing so.

Thanks for any advice,
Terje