[3dem] Help! Plastic films on my holey grids are KILLING ME

John Rubinstein john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 1 18:44:04 PDT 2019

Hi Cindy,

Quantifoil grids are manufactured using the method in Ultramicroscopy 74 (1998) 75—81, although it may have evolved since it was first described. Briefly, a silicon wafer is coated with a sacrificial layer of glutaraldehyde cross-linked gelatin, which is subsequently coated with photoresist. The desired pattern of holes is produced in the photoresist by photolithography. The cross-linked gelatin layer is then digested with proteinase K, releasing the holey photoresist film so that it can be floated onto EM grids. The holey film should be soluble in organic solvent (they mention ethanol in the manuscript). I wonder if some of the cross-linked gelatin could remain on your grids.

C-flat grids are manufactured using the method described in Microsc Microanal 13 (2007) 365-71. With this method, a water-soluble liftoff agent (similar to what Ken Downing used in a method described in 2003), is applied to a silicon wafer that has the desired pattern of holes etched into it. Carbon is then evaporated onto the wafer and floated onto EM grids without the use of any plastics.

Best,
John

--
John Rubinstein