[3dem] automated data collection

Wim Hagen hagen at embl.de
Tue Feb 19 10:20:00 PST 2019

Hi David,

We use SerialEM on Tecnai 12, JEOL 2100+, Tecnai F30, Tecnai Polara, Talos Arctica, and Titan Krios for spa, tomography and correlative work.

I really like Leginon but it’s installation and setup looks too intimidating to me, although it needs to also be said that Leginon/Appion does so much more than just acquisition but people here will process on the central cluster anyway as our IT does not prefer us EM-ers setting up our own processing eco system.

Sticking with just SerialEM on everything brings down the training burden, one program fits all, users get locked in when they start on the Tecnai 12. SerialEM also seems to be the program that integrates new detectors faster than others.
SerialEM has a steep learning curve but stellar support and large user community.

Best,

Wim Hagen
EMBL Heidelberg