[3dem] K3 optimal dose rate & F20 parallel illumination

Craig Yoshioka yoshiokc at ohsu.edu
Thu Feb 14 11:57:31 PST 2019

Hi Gary,

We haven’t exhaustively tested yet, but we have been targeting around 15-20eps on the K3 and have been getting nice results.  This general range was based on the 400 -> 1500 read rate increase.

At very high-magnifications 15eps is quite a high flux, so sometimes we will go below 10eps just so that we don’t have to push very high FPS (40+) with < 1 sec exposures.  We have seen some mild pattern noise occasionally creep into images when trying to save at high frame rates.  Not sure yet if this is just our K3, or if it also seen by others.  So far it doesn’t seem to be a problem in practice, but feedback from others if they have seen this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-Craig