[3dem] Precipitation observed after making freeze substitution cocktail containing 5% water

Gibson, Kimberley kimberley.gibson at yale.edu
Thu Dec 19 07:08:07 PST 2019

It's not possible to make a stock solution of 20% Uranyl Acetate. Even making a 10% UA stock is not possible. At best, the solubility of UA is around 7-8 % in water. It's best to make a 5% stock solution, dissolved in water, for example, and add the quantity of 5%UA to the acetone. The precipitation of UA is likely due to the acetone as UA is not really soluble in acetone.
Best,

Kimberley Gibson

Research Associate, Charles Sindelar Lab

Dept. Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry
Yale University