[3dem] [Microscopy] mean inner potential

Philip Köck philip.koeck at ki.se
Fri Aug 16 05:12:16 PDT 2019

Hi again.

Some more little things I've come up with.

It seems that a MIP in the order of about 10 V can be explained without any surface effects or adsorbed molecules or ions.

That means a (non-existent) ideal crystal, where the surface unit cells are exactly the same as the unit cells inside the solid would have roughly this MIP. This is supported by estimations based on band theory and one can also get similar results using Poissons equation on a model charge density.

This is clearly in line with what Bill Tivol pointed out.

Obviously surface effects and adsorbed species will add to this value.

The thickness-independent contribution to the phase shift shown in the Wanner paper from 2006 is still a mystery to me, but there's one thing I'd like to point out: The smallest thickness they measured is only 1 nm, which is in the order of 5 atom layers I would say. In a C-film that thin I wouldn't even look for anything related to the bulk of the solid since a film that thin essentially consists of two surfaces and not much in between.

All the best,

Philip