[3dem] Communication Error in K2 Camera

Farzad farzaad at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 01:04:48 PDT 2019

Hi all,

We have a K2 camera installed in our JEOL 3200 FSC.

The camera works nice and smooth in normal conditions but during
acquisition, after several times switching between linear mode and counting
mode it dispatches blank frames. Somebody told us that this is the inherent
problem with this camera and you should use the camera all the time in
counting mode or use the CCD for lower mags and K2 in counting mode just
for high mag.

My question is which strategy should I select? Just consider:

1- if I want to use counting mode in low mag (for EH correction) it would
be very slow.
2- If I want to switch between CCD and K2, there is a mechanical movement
which introduces a lot of vibrations and personally I feel bad about this
amount of insertions and retractions and I expect the system to fail at
some point.

I would appreciate if you teach me how you guys use K2? Is there any
similar communication problem in your system? How do you cope with it?

Best Regards,

Farzad Hamdi

Staff Scientist and Cryo-Electron Microscopy Facility Manager
Kastritis Laboratory for Biomolecular Research
Cryo-Electron Microscopy & Computational Structural Biology
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Biozentrum, Room A.2.14
IWE ZIK HALOmem NWG III
"Kryo-Elektronenmikroskopie an Membranproteinkomplexen"
Weinbergweg 22, 06120 Halle
tel: +49 345 5524984
web (Lab): https://blogs.urz.uni-halle.de/kastritislab/
web (HALOmem): https://www.halomem.de/en/