[3dem] Call for abstracts for the session "Radiation damage in X-ray crystallography and cryo-EM"

Dominika Borek dominika.borek at utsouthwestern.edu
Mon Apr 8 18:36:53 PDT 2019

Dear All,

The deadline for submitting an abstract to the American Crystallographic
Association Meeting (https://www.aca2019mtg.com/) that will take place
July 20-24 2019 in Cincinnati/Northern KY has been extended to April 12
(Friday this week).

Cryo-EM methods are featured at many sessions in the ACA meeting
program, including "Radiation Damage in X-ray Crystallography and
Cryo-EM" (session 4.1.2), which Gerd Rosenbaum and I are organizing. If
you are researching any aspect of radiation damage, please consider
submitting an abstract to this session at:
https://acaonline.secure-platform.com/a/

I've copied and pasted below a description of what we are looking for,
but this isn't a comprehensive list, so don't be shy about sending in
your abstract.

Best regards,

Dominika Borek

-----------------
Are you wondering why or how your samples keeping dying when you are
just innocently trying to solve a structure so that you can complete
your Ph.D. or finally publish that important paper? If so, the session
"Radiation Damage in X-ray Crystallography and Cryo-EM" is for you!

What is radiation dose? What are dose-rate effects and why should you
care about them? How should you collect data to minimize radiation
damage in X-ray crystallography and cryo-EM? How does radiation damage
manifest in a structure? Can radiation damage be useful? These and other
questions will be answered during this session.

If you plan to participate and have a questions that you wish to be
answered during this session, do not hesitate to email these questions
to the chairs: Dominika Borek (Dominika.Borek at UTSouthwestern.edu>) and
Gerd Rosenbaum (rosenbaum at anl.gov).

--
Dominika Borek, Ph.D.
Department of Biophysics | UT Southwestern Medical Center