[3dem] [ccpem] GroEL best resolution map. (FSC RESOLUTION ??)

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:47:20 PDT 2018

For the first time in my life I fully agree with what Steven says here!
Does that mean we are both getting old Steven or is that just me?

Have fun!

Marin

On 02/09/2018 23:38, Ludtke, Steven J wrote:
> Ok, can't resist chiming in any more.
>
> The basis of this general consensus, IS mathematical. The specific
> threshold (2/3 Nyquist) which pretty much everyone agreed on back in
> the 90's, is empirical. The reason (at least the one I've always used)
> is that you do not have a complete representation of data at Nyquist.
> Nyquist corresponds to a +1/-1/+1/-1 sequence in adjacent pixels, if
> you phase shift this pattern by 90 degrees, it becomes 0,0,0,0. At 1/2
> Nqyuist, you can still represent arbitrary sinusoidal waveforms with
> arbitrary phase. Between 1/2 Nyquist and Nyquist, you get patterns
> which are dependent on position within the "box".
>
> When you do X-ray crystallography, you are measuring the Fourier
> intensities experimentally, and provided that you can get the correct
> phase, you can then oversample the real-space representation of the
> crystal pattern (with specified phases), such that it is fully
> sampled. In CryoEM, we image in real-space, and between 1/2 Nyquist
> and Nyquist the phases and amplitudes are convolved in spatially
> dependent ways, such that information is actually lost, and
> over-sampling cannot recover the information fully.
>
> This is NOT saying you cannot achieve FSC curves that remain close to
> 1 all the way to Nyquist. You can, of course, but the resulting
> reconstruction will not be properly sampled and features will be
> distorted from what you would see if you had the same structure
> measured with 2x finer sampling.
>
> Try this little experiment. Take a PDB model and convert to electron
> density with 1.5 Å/voxel sampling, repeat the same process, but
> translate the PDB by 0.75 Å in x/y/z before doing the conversion.
> Finally, generate a PDB with 0.75 Å/pixel sampling. All 3 of these
> should have the same "resolution" which should extend to 3 Å. Look at
> the 3-maps. Overlay the PDB. Take a look at the sidechains.
> Ostensibly, these 3 maps are all "identical", but you will see that
> they are definitely not...
>
> PS - please note that I am NOT saying that the FFT is a lossy process.
> It is not, of course. Information is exactly preserved by the FFT. The
> point, is that an arbitrary real-space periodicity requires 4 pixels,
> not 2 pixels, to unambiguously represent.

> Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <sludtke at bcm.edu <mailto:sludtke at bcm.edu>>
>               Baylor College of Medicine
> Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
> Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
>   (www.bcm.edu/biochem <http://www.bcm.edu/biochem>)
> Academic Director, CryoEM Core                     (cryoem.bcm.edu
> <http://cryoem.bcm.edu>)
> Co-Director CIBR Center         (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr
> <http://www.bcm.edu/research/cibr>)
>

>> On Sep 2, 2018, at 7:27 PM, Dimitry Tegunov <tegunov at GMAIL.COM
>> <mailto:tegunov at GMAIL.COM>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Marin,
>>
>> quoting from the 1997 paper:
>>
>> "The crossing point between the two curves here lies at about 78% of
> [...]

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/LNNano, Campinas, Brazil

     tel:    +55-19-3518-2316
     mobile  +55-19-983455450 (current)
     mobile  +55-19-981809332
                  (041-19-981809332 TIM)
     Skype:  Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
             marin.vanheel(A_T)lnnano.cnpem.br
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing
     Leiden University
     Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618 (ALWAYS ACTIVE SMS)
     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology
     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     email: m.vanheel(A_T)imperial.ac.uk

I receive many emails per day and, although I try,
there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email.