[3dem] Installing Relion on a GPU cluster

Sayan Bhakta 19sayanbhakta89 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 10:40:40 PDT 2018

Hi,
I am using a cluster with 4 blades. One is the master node without any
graphics card. Other three have CUDA compatible high end graphics card. In
the master node CUDA was installed without any graphics driver and in the
three slave nodes CUDA was installed with appropriate graphics driver. All
the four nodes has similar architecture and CUDA installation paths are
same on each blades.

I was going to compile relion with cmake in the master node and I got stuck
how to source the paths of CUDA and Nvidia driver environments from
different nodes while compiling with cmake. As on the master node there are
no graphics driver, cmake will not be able to compile the GPU version of
relion.

My plan was as below.

First, making a module with CUDA environment variables and loading it
before relion compilation. But I don't know how to make the module with
CUDA from different nodes. If any guidance is there would be very helpful.

Secondly, after successful installation, making a module for relion with
all CUDA and other necessary (like openmpi,  ctffind, gctf,
mitioncorrection, etc) environment variables and loading it while
submitting the job. But in this case also I don't know how to specify GPU
from different nodes in the module file.

Please help and ask for further information if needed.