[3dem] Falcon II uses only half of the 1Gb/s bandwidth.

Eugene Pichkur eugene.pichkur at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 07:41:51 PDT 2018

Dear All,

Thank you for your excellent suggestions regarding the issue.

Mike Strauss was right about EPU writing stacks from Falcon II to the
Microscope PC's HDD before transferring it to the destination folder on
Support PC. This is an obvious bottleneck, but I think FEI did this for a
good reason (Win 7 upgrade was probably implemented at the very end of the
product lifecycle, so there was no point in making the old product almost
as good as the new one).
Thanks to Mike, I was able to locate the folder where intermediate frames
are saved: *C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp/FalconInterImages/ *
However, *IntermediateConfig.xml* points to the different location, not the
one that is currently used (you'll find the attachment below). I've tried
to find .XML files with the same name, but haven't found any, except for
those that were in the backup copy made during the migration from Win XP to
Win 7.

Now let me address your questions one at a time:

What type of disks are on Camera Support Rack #1?

Camera Support Rack #1 is a "black box" - I don't have a direct access to
it, so no info on the type of the memory used and/or additional
computations performed on it.

> You are talking about the image transfer being performed by the FEI
> software, rather than copying a file via SMB?

Yes, correct. As indicated on the network map, 1Gbps channel ("Support
network") used for transferring via SMB is fully utilised.

Matthias, thank you for pointing out the possible workarounds, I've
contacted Chen Xu already. I didn't know the camera can go to 32 fps or
higher, that's fascinating!

Steven, of course you are right about the switch. It isn't (probably) a
cause of the problem itself (since 1Gb/s Ethernet has been around for 20
years or so). My guess was that it's configured this way to "cap" incoming
1Gbps channels because there is only one outgoing 1Gbps channel.

Regards,

Eugene