[3dem] weird ice?

Shi, Dan (NIH/NCI) [C] dan.shi at nih.gov
Wed Oct 17 10:58:29 PDT 2018

Hi Peter,

As people pointed out the crystalized ice should be caused by the grid's temperature was raised before recording the images. Loosen clip ring usually associated longer settle time and severe drifting. Extreme thing ice could be devitrified within a second in RT air as Tommi suggested, you could take an image from the thicker area of the grid to confirm it.

Beside slightly increasing the ice thickness, shortening the grids travel distance/time between liquid ethane to LN2 during freezing may help too. I observed very similar incidents of grids with relative thin ice on our Krios.

Good luck,

Dan Shi
Frederick National Lab for Cancer research
CCR, NCI