[3dem] weird ice?

Mariena Silvestry Ramos ms3289 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 16 17:39:43 PDT 2018

Hi Peter,

I second Eric. Looks like a bad contact (or lack of) between the clipring and the grid. This will cause the ice to devitrify and "crust" and it you park the beam, the stuff will fold back and do all sorts of weird moving/behaviour. I'd check if your clipping mechanism is good. It could be that the wire that keeps the grid put in is worn, or, depending on the model, the ring is crossthreaded. Changing the clip wire is generally easy to do, with the right tools. I've done it a couple of times and it fixes the issue. Definitely contact Gatan with any questions. Mark Dods and/or Braden Bowers are at the factory in Warrendale and can give you advice on what to test and the part(s) to purchase.

Best of luck!

Mariena

Sent from my Game Boy