[3dem] Falcon 3 question

Fco Javier Chichon fjchichon at cnb.csic.es
Thu Oct 4 14:47:31 PDT 2018

Dear all,
In our case we tried 2 configurations once we realized that is just
simply not possible to have the storage close to the microscope without
cabinet, the configuration FEI give to us.
Then e decided to move it to the CPD of the center, very convenient. For
that we install 2 fiber optic cables form the wall close to the CMTS
module (the one that send the movies directly from the FALCON to the
storage) to the CPD.

First we plug through the wall the fiber optics elongation
[CMTS--wall--CPD-(storage)]. It also required a ethernet connection to
the microscope computer. For that we buy a mixed switch 10,100 and
ethernet ports. Then the other fiber optics connects back the storage to
the computer room through the switch, were we connect the microscope
computer for the EPU to take the images back and do the
cross-correlations, and also another computer could also connect the
storage through this private network to save the data in external
Hard-drives or other machines.

If I remember well high quality fiber optics wires could send the images
far away. in our case is more than 150 m from the Talos-Arctica. The
signal required for the EPU will work also with a ethernet wire as only
small traffic is required for that purpose.

I hope this could help.

Dr Francisco Javier Chichón
Cryo-EM Facility
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, CSIC