[3dem] EMDB accession code format

Frederic Bonnet fbonnet08 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 09:31:04 PDT 2018

Hi,

an alpha-numerical tagging method will give EMD-26^(m)x10^(n)
possibilities, where m being the number of letters and n numbers.

take m= 2 n=4 for example it gives 6,760,000 possibilities!

Now if one differentiate between virus, bacterium, filament etc.. then each
categories become a lot smaller.

ie
bacterium: EMD-B-26^(m)x10^(n)
virus        : EMD-V-26^(m)x10^(n)
other        : EMD-O-26^(m)x10^(n)
etc..

It is then also possible to identify the sort of molecule almost
immediately.

Best to keep the number of digits and letters fixed of length and maybe pad
with 0 as you as suggesting if neccessary
so that we do not have to modify the codes too much.

Best.
Frederic.

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Ardan Patwardhan <ardan at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Just to note, with
>
> EMD-##### where ##### is a number
>
> I meant a number without a upper bound on digits (i.e., the ‘#####’ should
> be ‘####…#’!)
>

> Best wishes
>

> On 21 May 2018, at 17:01, Jan Löwe <jyl at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> "640 k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
> (Apparently, Bill never said that but it illustrates our lack of ability
> to imagine the future so famously)
>
> On 21/05/2018 16:43, Ardan Patwardhan wrote:
>
> Dear all
>
> The current format of the EMDB accession code is EMD-#### (4 digits
> starting at 1001).
>
> Due to the rapid growth in EMDB we are running out of 4 digit accession
> codes. You will therefore see entries released in the coming weeks with
> accession codes in the range below 1001 but padded with leading zeros to 4
> digits, e.g., EMD-0011 or EMD-0221. Once these are exhausted we will
> continue with 5 or more digits.
>
> In other words EMDB accession codes will have the format:
> EMD-##### where ##### is a number. If the number is less than 1000, it
> will be padded with leading zeros to a minimum length of 4 digits.
>
> If you have any queries about the change please feel free to contact me.
>
> Best wishes
>

> Ardan Patwardhan
> Team Leader - Cellular Structure & 3D Bioimaging
> EMDB & EMPIAR
> European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) European Molecular
> Biology Laboratory
> Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
> Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD
> Tel: +44 1223 492649

Frederic Bonnet
fbonnet08 at gmail.com

This  email  message  is  intended   only for the addressee(s)
and contains  information  which may be confidential  and / or
copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not
read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents of this email.
If this email has  been sent to  you  in error, please delete this
email  and  any  copies  or  links  to  this  email  completely  and
immediately from your system.  No representation  is  made
that  this email is free of viruses. Virus scanning  is recommended
and  is the responsibility of the recipient.