[3dem] model-map FSC @ 0.25 cutoff? (YOU ASKED FOR IT!)

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Fri May 4 05:39:15 PDT 2018

Hi Gabe,

After our #resolutionretribution paper nobody wants to talk about FSC
values any more...  Unfortunately, due to early errors in the underlying
statistics
virtually all resolution criteria in cryo-EM are flawed (including:
FSC.143; FSC.5, SSNR, Gold-Standard FSC; etc).
In spite of having pissed off all our peers, we still hope the paper
will reach print soon. ;)

Cheers
Marin

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/11/24/224402

YES: you asked for it!  But the damages have already been done over
decades....

===================

On 03/05/2018 20:30, Gabriel Lander wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've recently been seeing model-to-map FSCs being reported using a cutoff of 0.25 - I must have missed this discussion or the paper describing the rationale for this cutoff value instead of 0.5. Can someone fill me in?
> -gabe
>
> PS. I take full responsibility for all repercussions/damages stemming from asking an FSC-based question on this listserv.

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/LNNano, Campinas, Brazil

     tel:    +55-19-3518-2316
     mobile  +55-19-983455450 (current)
     mobile  +55-19-981809332
                  (041-19-981809332 TIM)
     Skype:  Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
             marin.vanheel(A_T)lnnano.cnpem.br
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing
     Leiden University
     Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618 (ALWAYS ACTIVE SMS)
     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology
     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     email: m.vanheel(A_T)imperial.ac.uk