[3dem] 626 holder temperature

Wim Hagen hagen at embl.de
Thu Mar 8 13:24:14 PST 2018

Dear Reinhard,

We have an older 626, things might be different depending on how old the holder is. To my knowledge the temperature is measured near the tip. We do a zeolite bake-out regularly (although we have carbon packs instead of zeolite now) and monitor the heating current. The bake-out will heat the tip to 100 degrees but will use a maximum current of 750 mA. As the vacuum gets better, thermal isolation gets better and less current is needed to maintain 100 degrees at the tip. We aim for less than 450 mA, then the holder is ok to use. This is especially important when the holder is not used for a while and not pumped.I found this out at FEI, new holders could have been in the warehouse for months, we had trouble getting them to work, this current monitoring procedure tackled the problem. If current needed does not drop during bake-out, things are bad. Lower current is better vacuum.

Clip ring is also crucial. The images Gary sent show the same thing I see when people here clip the Polara cartridges wrongly. Overnight the grid gets too warm. Here are images of a badly clipped Polara cartridge and the effect it had after one night in an otherwise properly working Polara: https://oc.embl.de/index.php/s/1wW380d1vasQHvj <https://oc.embl.de/index.php/s/1wW380d1vasQHvj>

One crude way of measuring temperature in the scope is to put a beam on the cryo sample and look at the diffraction pattern of just vitreous ice. Vitreous ice should disappear from radiation damage only. If it does not disappear but goes cubic and crystalline, temperature is suspect.

Best,

Wim Hagen
EMBL Heidelberg