[3dem] History of 3DEM and genealogy page (1968 - 2011)

Mark Yeager my3r at virginia.edu
Sat Jul 28 21:21:06 PDT 2018

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [3dem] History of 3DEM and genealogy page (1968 - 2011)
Date: 	Sun, 8 Jul 2018 16:05:17 -0400
From: 	Mark Yeager <my3r at virginia.edu>
To: 	3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu

Dear Martin, Alexis, John, Ardan and Sriram

Thanks very much for all your effort. Yes, the field is more exciting
than ever!

I thought that folks might be amused to see the attached picture of
Nigel, who has always had an affinity for ice and snow.

Perhaps this was already pointed out, but I noticed that Ernst Ruska
wasn't identified in your map as having received a Nobel Prize, which he
was awarded at the age of 80. In fact, his Ph.D. thesis in 1933,
provided the conception for magnetic lenses.

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1986/perspectives.html

Ruska's brother Helmut, a physician, 'managed to convince his former
medical professor, Richard Siebeck, director of the medical clinic at
the Charité Hospital in Berlin, that his brother's invention was worth
investing time and effort into. In an advisory opinion to the industry,
dated October 2 1936, and three years after the completion of the
prototype electron microscope, Siebeck described how Ruska's electron
microscope could be of immense value to him, as it could /advance
research into the causes of disease, particularly infectious agents that
couldn't be seen with a light microscope, such as those that cause
smallpox, chickenpox, measles, mumps and influenza/. "Success seems to
me so close, that I am ready and willing to advise on medical research
work and to collaborate by making available the resources of my
institute," wrote Siebeck.'

So it seems that relevance to medical research was the driving force for
Siemens to commercialize the electron microscope.  It has now come full
circle with pharmas establishing cryoEM labs to pursue drug discovery.

For some reason I keep seeing the outline of a ribosome in your map. : )

All best wishes

Mark

On 6/7/18 1:47 PM, Ardan Patwardhan wrote:
> Dear all
>

> We are very pleased to present the History of 3DEM webpage
> (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe/emdb/genealogy.html) featuring a dynamic
> genealogy of the development of the field from 1968-2011. We realize
> that there are omissions and corrections which need to be made to the
> genealogy map. Please submit your comments to us and we will endeavor
> to make the corrections in a timely fashion.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Martin Kessel (martink1937 at gmail.com <mailto:martink1937 at gmail.com>)
> Hebrew University of Jerusalem and the National Cancer Institute, NIH
>
> Alexis Rohou (a.rohou at gmail.com <mailto:a.rohou at gmail.com>)
> Genentech
>
> John Henry J. Scott (johnhenry.scott at nist.gov
> <mailto:johnhenry.scott at nist.gov>)
> National Institute of Standards and Technology
>
> Ardan Patwardhan (ardan at ebi.ac.uk <mailto:ardan at ebi.ac.uk>)
> EMBL-EBI
>
> Sriram Somasundharam (sriram at ebi.ac.uk <mailto:sriram at ebi.ac.uk>)
> EMBL-EBI

Mark Yeager, M.D., Ph.D.

Professor, Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics

University of Virginia School of Medicine

and

Professor, Department of Medicine

Division of Cardiovascular Medicine

University of Virginia Health System

Sheridan G. Snyder Translational Research Building, Rm 320

480 Ray C. Hunt Drive

Charlottesville, VA 22908

Phone: 434-243-4676

FAX: 434-243-8271

E-mail: yeager at virginia.edu

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged and
confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachment(s) is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sending individual or entity by e-mail and
permanently delete the original e-mail and attachment(s) from your
computer system. Thank you for your cooperation.