[3dem] Service FEI Tecnai Polara (Sacha De Carlo)

Sacha De Carlo sacha.decarlo at dectris.com
Thu Jul 19 09:02:23 PDT 2018

Dear Mike,

no, it was a personal opinion that I expressed on the forum. However, since
you asked about it, I can refer you to DECTRIS General Terms and
Conditions, which state that DECTRIS supports parts of the detectors for up
to 5 years after the end-of-life cycle announcement for a given product.

Planned obsolescence is a topic that I was not addressing, but I do
understand your concerns.

I was merely asking the community to take business aspects into account if
you (plan to) make such request to a manufacturer, because the costs of
maintaining hi-tech equipment well beyond the EOL, and not only limited to
electron microscopy equipment, cannot be simply ignored. It's not just
about the parts, but also support aspects, dependencies, documentation,
personnel, etc etc.

Best regards,
Sacha

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 4:59 PM, Mike Strauss <mike at biochem.mpg.de> wrote:

> Dear Sacha,
>
> Do your statements represent the policy of Dectris?  Are you planning on
> abandoning 12-year-old cameras? Planned obsolescence is a major problem for
> consumers, especially in a consumer society largely driven by companies
> that profit from intentional design limitations that hobble their own
> products.  Even in our field...  Are you suggesting this practice is one
> you espouse?
>
> Surely there is something noble about the 30-year old Edwards evaporator
> that is making carbon as well today as it did 30 years ago. Or the Zeiss
> 902 that is sitting in every other pathology department in the world, that
> has required realignment only twice in the last 25 years, and still takes
> publication quality images every day.
>
> Thorsten, I sympathise with your plight.  The lack of replacement parts
> for Polaras is a real problem, and one that is experienced by nearly all
> labs with operational Polaras. It’s not quite fair to say the Polara is an
> F30, though.  It has a vastly different cryo-box, and cryogenic components
> including cold trap and anticontaminator, along with the different holder
> you mentioned.  It’s worth noting, that all of these components are in the
> objective region, and a failure in any one of them leaves you unable to
> operate. Then there are the host of microswitches, and interlock sensors
> that are not present on the F30s either.  It’s not that simple.
>
> It may be worthwhile, though, to stay in touch with other Polara owners,
> so you can distribute components when one is decommissioned or scrapped.
>
> I wish you luck.
>
> mike
>
> On 19.07.2018 14:57, Sacha De Carlo wrote:
> > I do not represent the opinion of Thermo Fisher, but what you guys are
> > asking doesn't make any business sense. There is no ROI in trying to
> > maintain the old scopes alive. In our consumer society it makes more
> > sense to sell new tools.
> >
> > Best,
> > Sacha
>
> -------
> Mike Strauss - former cryoEM Facility Manager
> MPI Biochemistry
> mike at biochem.mpg.de
> tel: +49 89-8578-2474
> mob: +49 151 55 308040

<https://www.dectris.com>
Sacha De Carlo, Ph.D.
Business Development Manager EM
Phone: +41 56 500 21 00 | Direct: +41 56 500 21 90 | Email:
sacha.decarlo at dectris.com
DECTRIS Ltd. | Taefernweg 1 | 5405 Baden-Daettwil | Switzerland |
www.dectris.com

<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>[image: LinkedIn]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/5067919>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>[image:
facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dectris-Ltd/623855944369304>
<https://twitter.com/DECTRIS_News> <https://twitter.com/DECTRIS_News>
<https://twitter.com/DECTRIS_News>

*Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the use of the
named recipient(s)*
*and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not
the intended *
*recipient, please contact the sender and delete the message. Any
unauthorized use of *
*the information contained in this message is prohibited.*