[3dem] [ccpem] lost gain reference image

Carlos Oscar S. Sorzano coss at cnb.csic.es
Tue Dec 4 13:56:36 PST 2018

Dear Marin,

thank you for the reminder, since I had certainly forgotten. What you
call a contrast reversal is most likely a nomenclature issue. If you
have two images, I_observed and I_ideal, and the relationship between
the two is simply a multiplicative term

I_observed = H I_ideal

exactly the same relationship is described by the relationship (assuming
there are no zeros)

F I_observed = I_ideal

The relationship between F and H is F=1/H, which implies a contrast
reversion. I have explictly avoided G to denote any of these two images
(F or H) to avoid confusions. Which of the two is called "gain" is a
matter of definition. I prefer describing H as the gain, but I
understand other people may prefer the other option.

Regarding R^2, it is true I did not define it assuming it was general
knowledge. It is a very standard statistical measure of quality called
the coefficient of determination
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_determination), and it
expresses the fraction of the original variance explained by a model. If
R^2=1, the model has totally explained the original variance, while if
R^2=0, the model explains the same variance as the mean of the
observations, which is the simplest, sensible model we could have.

Cheers, Carlos Oscar

Carlos Oscar Sánchez Sorzano                  e-mail:   coss at cnb.csic.es
Biocomputing unit                             http://i2pc.es/coss
National Center of Biotechnology (CSIC)
c/Darwin, 3
Campus Universidad Autónoma (Cantoblanco)     Tlf: 34-91-585 4510
28049 MADRID (SPAIN)                          Fax: 34-91-585 4506