[3dem] Wrong image size from SerialEM

Subangstrom info at subangstrom.com
Thu Aug 30 03:41:32 PDT 2018

Dear Zongli,

I hope you are well.

I have also seen this issue when GMS crashes. For some reason after the
crash, the compression of the TIFF will add some extra pixel rows and
columns to all the TIFFS. The manner in which they are added are around
the perimeter of each frame. So if we have a row with 7676, row 0 and 1
will have the extra pixels and row 7679 and 7680 will also have extra
pixels. In the other direction for 7420, column 0 and 1 will have the
extra pixels and column 7423 and 7424 will have the extra pixels. It is
as if there is a 2pixel wide "picture frame" around the image.

I have found that it would be more labor intensive to clip each TIFF so
instead I would add pixels to the gain reference in order to make it the
same dimensions as the "corrupt" movies. Making the gain reference
7680x7424 will allow it to be compatible with the movies and MotionCorr
will not complain that the gain reference is a different size.

One last thing is that in order to make this problem go away you must
close serial EM, DM, and power cycle the K2 camera, digitizer and
processor. Hope it works.

Best,

Mark

www.subangstrom.com