[3dem] Cryo-EM Scientist Position at Stanford-SLAC
skinioti at umich.edu
Sat Apr 7 12:19:48 PDT 2018
Cryo-EM Scientist Position at Stanford-SLAC Cryo-EM facility
Stanford-SLAC is seeking a cryo-EM scientist to support the operation of our state-of-the-art electron cryo-EM facility. The facility includes 2 Titan Krios and 1 Tecnai F20 microscopes for single particle and tomography studies. The facility will be staffed by 2-3 team members. This team member, along with others, will be responsible for oversight and maintenance of these microscopes as well as training and assisting users. The cryo-EM specialist will have ample opportunities to advance and grow professionally within our research environment, which includes the scientific communities at both Stanford and SLAC.
Responsibilities (together with 2 other team members):
• Maintain FEI Tecnai F20 and Krios microscopes. This duty requires interfacing with FEI engineers to ensure optimal performance of the microscopes.
• Maintain ancillary, cryo-EM related equipment such as Vitrobot, glow discharger etc.
• Load samples and tune microscopes prior to data collection.
• Train and oversee users for data collection.
• Evaluate quality of data obtained by users.
• Interface and collaborate with High Performance Computing team, who will assist with computational needs for optimal data collection, storage and data processing.
• Interface and collaborate with Microscopy Core, which houses electron microscopes for preliminary screening of samples.
• Implement data collection strategies that will benefit our user community.
• Maintain accurate logs for microscope performance and usage.
The Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a colleague who will be excited about interacting with researchers at all levels and will consistently strive to maintain a state-of-the-art facility. This EM scientist will join a team of two others to support our new cryo-EM initiative. This job is an excellent opportunity for an electron microscopist interested in joining the Stanford/SLAC community.
Desired Qualifications include:
* BA or MA in structural biology, biochemistry, bioengineering or related field plus 5 years of related experience; or a PhD in same fields with 2 years of cryo-EM experience.
* At least 2-5 years of cryo-EM experience, with expertise in handling samples, using microscopes and evaluating data.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Solid understanding of the principles of transmission electron microscopy.
* Best practice knowledge of computational image processing and analysis of cryo-EM images.
* General understanding of single particle cryo-EM workflow; experience in cryo electron tomography is a plus.
Salary will be competitive and depend on qualifications of the candidate.
To apply for this position, please connect to this link: https://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/ <https://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/> and enter requisition # 78504 and include:
1) Cover letter
3) Contact information for 3 references
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the 3dem