[3dem] WIRE: all cryo-EM lit cited outside of public domain

Jacopo Marino jacopo.marino at psi.ch
Sun Nov 19 10:26:05 PST 2017

Instead of marking the paper about SPIDER in red (to cite one), the
journalist could have done a better service by trying to explain to the
large audience what that article is about, and why it contributed to the
Nobel Prize.

An increasing number of people uses the internet to find answers to
their medical-related problems, and unfortunately there is vast body of
wrong information around, which is often more understandable than
scientific facts. Such wrong information can lead to extreme cases, as
movements anti-vaccines, for example.

I feel that the article on TheWire could have helped bringing scientists
and  the public a bit closer; it has missed a precious opportunity.

Best regards,

Jacopo.

On 17.11.2017 20:19, Frank, Joachim wrote:

> https://thewire.in/184754/nobel-prize-chemistry-physics-medicine-journal-open-access-cryo-electron-microscopy/
>
> Joachim Frank, Ph.D.
>
> Professor,
>
> Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics
>
> and   Department of Biological Sciences
>
> Black Building 2-221, 650 W. 168^th Street, New York, NY 10032
>
> Tel 212 305 9510  fax 212 305 9500  Admin. Coordinator Masgan Saidi
> 212 305 9512
>
> Science  -- http://franklab.cpmc.columbia.edu/franklab/
> <http://franklab.cpmc.columbia.edu/franklab/>
>
> Fiction -- franxfiction.com