[3dem] Job Opening in the EM-center at Novartis in Basel, Switzerland

Wiesmann, Christian christian.wiesmann at novartis.com
Wed May 10 07:29:23 PDT 2017

Dear all,

The Chemical Biology & Therapeutics Department at the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our newly established, state-of-the-art Electron Microscopy Center located in Basel, Switzerland.

Protein Sciences, an interdisciplinary team in the Department for Chemical Biology and Therapeutics,  has expertise in molecular biology, protein chemistry, biophysics, NMR, X-ray crystallography, and electron microscopy. Our mission is to explore the function and molecular mechanism of scientifically interesting or therapeutically important proteins, to enable structure-guided drug discovery for multiple disease areas, and to identify innovative approaches that can address difficult drug targets. To pursue this goal, Novartis recently invested in a new cryo-EM facility and is committed to developing cryo-EM to support our drug discovery efforts. The facility is shared with the Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research and equipped with a Titan Krios and a Tecnai Spirit microscope.

We now have the exciting opportunity for an electron microscopy expert to join our team in the EM-facility in Basel. The successful candidate will support the drug-discovery efforts using single particle cryo-EM on therapeutically important drug targets. He or she will work with other scientists to design, conduct, and analyze experiments and contribute to all aspects of electron microscopy including the preparation of biological specimens for negative stain and cryo-EM, imaging of samples, data processing, and 3D-reconstruction. Other responsibilities include the day-to-day activities in an EM-facility and help with basic maintenance of the instrumentation as well as training of new users.

The ideal candidate has a degree in biochemistry, physics, biology or a related field and relevant  experience in all aspects of structure determination using single particle cryo-EM as demonstrated by a strong publication record. Excellent organizational skills, good communication skills, and the ability to work independently as well as in a highly collaborative cross functional  team are also required. The successful candidate will be fluent in English. German and/or French are an advantage for communication with the teams and in the laboratory.

If interested, please apply with a cover letter and CV using the link below:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=13617&siteid=5260&jobid=2483767&_ga=2.126131917.117043164.1494324063-1023669351.1487943091

Thank you for your interest!

Christian Wiesmann

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the exclusive use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the material from any computer.  Thank you.