[3dem] Side-entry holder problem

Sergej Masich Sergej.Masich at ki.se
Mon Jun 12 06:16:36 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues,
We consider purchasing a new 200 kV microscope. We are aiming to use it mostly for tomographic data collection on plastic sections. However, cryo-ET is also of our interest. From this point of view, FEI Talos 200C seems to be a good choice since the side-entry holder allows easy changing from plastic to cryo specimens and vice versa. Nevertheless, I am hesitant, as I have experienced a severe problem with side-entry holders in our present CM200 machine.
I can adjust the eucentric height for one holder to reduce image movement during tilting in the range of ±70 degrees. When I insert another holder, equally good stability can be reached for either 0/+70 or -70/0 degrees. To make the second holder equally stable in the whole range of ±70 degrees, we had to invite an FEI engineer but the first holder became almost unusable then. The best suggestion I have got so far is to adjust the compustage to intermediate position compromising performance for both holders.
I wonder whether Talos has inherited this problem. Any information about Talos performance is appreciated.
Kind regards,
Sergej
Dr. Sergej Masich
Dept. of Cell and Molecular Biology