[3dem] cryo-EM Core Specialist available at Van Andel Institute
Gongpu.Zhao at vai.org
Fri Jan 13 08:48:37 PST 2017
I want to call your attention to an open cryo-EM Core Specialist position at Van Andel Research Institute.
Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 330 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
We are currently seeking to hire a cryo-EM Core Specialist to assist in the daily operations of our state of the art cryo-EM facility, which includes the latest Titan Krios microscope. The cryo-EM Core provides cryo-EM data collection, and single particle image processing/method development services to both internal and external researchers.
As our cryo-EM Core Specialist, you will work under the direction of the cryo-EM Core Facility Manager and will be responsible for the following Key Areas:
• _Provide cryo-EM technology assistant to users including sample preparation, data collection, data processing using state-of-art software, and 3-D reconstruction.
• _Operate hardware associated with EM data collection such as microscope, direct electron detector, sample robot, liquid nitrogen levels and responsible for their maintenance.
• _Record projects and experimental conditions in an electronic laboratory notebook.
• _Communicate experimental details with the users and other relevant project team members.
• _Help users prepare the experimental method section in resulting publications.
• _Other duties as assigned.
What skills and qualifications should you possess?
• _We would expect you to possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Biochemistry, Physics, Chemistry, or related field. Ph.D. would also be considered.
• _Hands on Electron microscopy experience is highly preferred and ideally you would be familiar with modern cryo-electron microscopes, electron detectors, and cryo-EM data collection procedures. If you do not possess hands on experience with electron microscopy, you should be able to demonstrate the aptitude for learning new skills
• _Experience in a core or shared resource laboratory
Most importantly, you should be a person with the following traits and characteristics:
• _A collaborative and an excellent communicator who is flexible and has a customer service oriented personality. We expect you to have a strong commitment to building and maintaining a positive work environment.
• _A motivated and hardworking individual, who has excellent organizational and time management skills
• _A strong desire and capability to learn new technologies
• _The ability to work alone or as a team member
• _Strong critical thinking and troubleshooting skills
How to apply:
If you possess these attributes and the desire to help us provide best in a class service to our researchers, we would welcome speaking with you and strongly encourage you to apply today at http://bit.ly/VARI-cryo-em.
In your application, provide us the following:
• _cover letter highlighting key qualifications,
• _current curriculum vitae with complete bibliography,
• _names and contact information of 3 references,
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Eric Miller at eric.miller at vai.org.
Gongpu Zhao, Ph.D.
Cryo-EM Core Manager
Van Andel Research Institute
gongpu.zhao at vai.org
More information about the 3dem