[3dem] GD in the presence of amylamine

Shirley Müller shirley.mueller at unibas.ch
Thu Feb 23 03:35:36 PST 2017

Dear Chris,

I used glow discharge in various alkylamines many years ago to spread DNA on carbon films. It was my experience that the presence of a small amount of vapour from the general surface ‘contamination’ caused by discharge in amylamine could be sufficient to disturb a subsequent glow discharge in air and prevent the formation of a strongly hydrophilic carbon surface. Because of this, we had two glow discharge machines. The glow discharge unit used with amines allowed liquid to be placed in a small reservoir separated from the chamber by a tap - so we could regulate the amount of amine vapour present at the time of the discharge.

Treatment with magnesium ions after a glow discharge in air resulted in a positively charged hydrophilic film, I cannot give details because I didn’t carry out this part of the work. I attach Table II of the paper that was published many years ago: Dubochet, J., Groom, M. & Mueller-Neuteboom, S. (1982). The mounting of macromolecules for electron microscopy with particular reference to surface phenomena and the treatment of support films by glow discharge. In Advances in Optical and Electron Microscopy (Barer, R. & Cosslett, V. E., eds.), Vol. 8, pp. 107-135. Academic Press Inc., London.

I have not kept up with the literature on this topic.

Kind regards,
Shirley