[3dem] CryoSPARC Paper and Software Release

Ali Punjani alipunjani at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Feb 6 09:14:38 PST 2017

Dear colleagues,

We are excited to announce the release of cryoSPARC (Cryo-EM
Single-Particle Ab-Initio Reconstruction and Classification) for general
academic use, along with a publication in Nature Methods
<http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nmeth.4169.html>
describing the new algorithms underlying the software. CryoSPARC has been
in beta testing since being announced at 3DEM last year, and we are very
thankful for the feedback and testing we've received from all our beta
sites. We'd especially like to thank those at UCSF, UC Berkeley, NYSBC,
OHSU, and Toronto/SickKids whose patience and feedback were critical in
getting us to this point.

CryoSPARC enables both ab-initio 3D heterogeneous reconstruction and rapid
high-resolution refinement of cryo-EM density maps, in minutes on a single
GPU workstation. For examples of results and performance, please see the
paper
<http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nmeth.4169.html> or
our blog posts
<https://blog.structura.bio/case-study-using-cryosparc-to-process-the-plasmodium-falciparum-80s-ribosome/>.
Currently, cryoSPARC only supports these reconstruction tasks, but is under
active development. In the near future we expect to include support for 2D
classification and heterogenous refinement for 3D classification. Longer
term we are working to support the full processing pipeline starting with
movies and ending with 3D structures. We are also constantly working to
improve both the speed and usability of cryoSPARC.

CryoSPARC is available free of charge for individual academic use. In order
to further the development of cryoSPARC, and to support both the academic
community and commercial users, we have founded a company Structura
Biotechnology Inc. <https://www.structura.bio> Interested non-academic
users can contact Structura <sales at structura.bio> to discuss licensing. If
you have further questions regarding the use and licensing of cryoSPARC,
please feel free to contact us directly.

For more information, and to obtain access to the software, please visit
cryosparc.com. For issues and inquiries relating to cryoSPARC, we encourage
you to contact us through the cryoSPARC discussion forum
<http://discuss.cryosparc.com> and issue tracker
<http://issues.cryosparc.com>.

Thank you for your support and interest.

Ali Punjani - PhD Student, University of Toronto
Marcus Brubaker - Assistant Professor, York University