[3dem] cryo-EM training videos: Sample Prep

Jensen, Grant J. jensen at caltech.edu
Fri Dec 22 11:19:56 PST 2017

Dear colleagues,

Please find at the following link a playlist of videos demonstrating cryo-EM sample prep, including preparing hydrophilic grids, plunge-freezing with a Vitrobot, assembling autogrids, loading autogrids into cassettes, docking and undocking capsules into ThermoFisher autoloaders, and associated safety issues:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8_xPU5epJdfd5fM2CjQItR-iRlIEIJk8

(For all who ever wanted to know whether sparks near liquid ethane could cause an explosion, don’t miss the video where we light it on fire!)

Stay tuned for additional videos we are working on now demonstrating how to operate Arctica, Glacios and Krios instruments; how to screen samples; and how to record both single particle and tomographic data; as well as further explanations of microscope optics, cameras and sample preparation.  All of this new material will also be made public free of charge as both an expansion of the existing online class “Getting Started in Cryo-EM”, which can as before be found at http://cryo-em-course.caltech.edu/, and eventually as a Thermofisher App.

Note the full set of videos will also be used as the basis of several upcoming cryo-EM schools, including one by the Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy (NECEN) to be held in April 2018 (see separate announcement email for details and application info).

We hope you and your trainees will find these videos helpful, and we welcome your feedback!

Grant Jensen
Matthijn Vos

Matthijn Vos
Sr. Staff Client Services Project Manager
Materials & Structural Analysis

Thermo Fisher Scientific
Achtseweg Noord 5 | 5651 GG Eindhoven | The Netherlands
Phone +31 6 23515172
Matthijn.vos at thermofisher.com<mailto:Matthijn.vos at thermofisher.com><mailto:Matthijn.vos at thermofisher.com>

Grant Jensen
Professor of Biology and Biophysics and Investigator, HHMI
California Institute of Technology, Mail code 114-96
1200 E. California Blvd.
Pasadena, CA  91125
626-395-8827 (phone)
626-395-5730 (fax)
JensenATcaltech.edu
http://www.jensenlab.caltech.edu
office location: 359 Broad (northwest corner of campus)

Administrative Assistant Karin Mallard
626-395-8893 (phone)
kmallardATcaltech.edu