[3dem] Philip Ross Smith

Martin Kessel martink1937 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 13:50:00 PST 2017

Dear Friends,

It is with deep sadness that we announce  the passing away of our colleague
Philip Ross Smith, who died peacefully in his sleep on Saturday Dec. 16,
after a protracted battle with cancer.

Ross will be remembered as one of the pioneers of the field of Three
Dimensional (3D) Electron Microscopy as it came to be known in the late
1960’s and 1970’s.  During his early work at the *Biozentrum* in Basel Ross
pioneered the development of the image processing software package *Micrograph
Data Processing Program* (*MDPP*) which he applied to exploring the 3D
structural organization of the bacteriophage T4 capsid and its contractile
tail.

In 1978 Ross joined the faculty at the *New York University* School of
Medicine where he devoted his career to developing novel computing
resources for education and research in the life sciences and for solving
problems in medical informatics.

 A Memorial for Ross is being planned for the near future.

We extend our deepest condolences to Ross’ wife Marjorie and daughters
Rebecca and Laura.

Ueli Aebi, Andreas Engel, Martin Kessel and Alasdair Steven