[3dem] Status in Houston

Petr Leiman petr.leiman at epfl.ch
Mon Aug 28 14:17:37 PDT 2017

As a follow-up to Steve’s email, we have not powered up any instruments yet, but visually the UTMB facility has suffered no damage so far. The hurricane is forecast to return as a storm with more water, but this storm should not be out of the ordinary (again, according to the forecast).

In fact, Houston and its south east suburbs where a lot of UTMB people live have been affected by Harvey a lot more than Galveston. For people who like graphs (as many of us do), examine the gradient of this graph that shows the stage of a river in our neighborhood:
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=HGX&gage=hcct2
Basically, we had an “event" that resulted in an increase of the stage of this river by 16 feet in a matter of a few of hours...

Misha Sherman and Elena Orlova had to be evacuated because their house is flooded. They live in Dickinson, which is under water in its entirety. Some of you might now Monte Pettitt and his house is also flooded, but they are staying home at the 2nd floor and last time I spoke to them, they had electricity.

Harvey was shaped like a multi-ray star. This is rather common and the star rotates as the hurricane moves. In this particular and extremely bizarre circumstance, the star stopped rotating as it hit Houston. This happened exactly when one of the rays was was above us and Misha’s and Monte’s house (essentially, on top of I-45). In the next 6-8 hours (the previous night) an incredible amount of water came out from this “ray”… 10 miles to the east and west of the ray there was hardly any rain or wind.

Our house is not flooded, so I find the following rather amusing because this is literally 400 m from my house:
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/friendswood/news/article/Harvey-rescuer-captures-buck-swimming-in-flood-12043935.php

Best wishes,

Petr

Petr Leiman