[3dem] [TEM] amplitude contrast

Philip Koeck Philip.Koeck at ki.se
Tue Aug 15 05:22:10 PDT 2017

Hi Sacha.

Thanks for the paper.

I don’t think Wade says very much about the source of amplitude contrast.
He lists some possible explanations from other publications in section 2 of the paper,
but to me it sounds a bit like nobody is really sure.
Therefore Wade and many others just continue with a phenomenological description.
I see many open questions:
If it’s due to scattering outside the aperture, shouldn’t it depend strongly on the aperture size?
If it’s due to multiple scattering, it must depend strongly on specimen thickness.
If it’s due to inelastic scattering, why is it so weak (about 10%)? Inelastic scattering has a larger cross section than elastic, I believe.

All the best,

Philip