[3dem] Postdoctoral position in membrane protein structural biology at CSHL

Furukawa, Hiro furukawa at cshl.edu
Thu Apr 20 09:44:54 PDT 2017

­Postdoctoral position in membrane protein structural biology and electrophysiology

The laboratory of Hiro Furukawa at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) is seeking an enthusiastic postdoc with dynamic interests in solving questions in neuropharmacology using biochemical and biophysical techniques. We conduct structural biology (cryo-EM and x-ray crystallography) on transmembrane proteins to understand basic mechanisms of ion and substrate transport and on fragments of water soluble domains to answer specific pharmacological questions. We use diverse techniques to address protein functions including electrophysiology (two-electrode voltage clamp/patch-clamp/bilayer), imaging, calorimetry, and phage-display. We also attempt to understand critical protein-protein interactions in signal transduction cascades in neurons using a combination of proteomics, cryo-EM, and x-ray crystallography. CSHL will be equipped with Titan-Krios/K2 detector this summer. Importantly, it offers a unique scientific environment to interact with scientists within the institute as well as from outside at the prestigious CSHL courses and meetings (including the famous 2-week course, “X-ray Methods in Structural Biology” and the newly installed cryo-EM course). A desired candidate should hold or soon expected to hold (within ~0.5yr) Ph.D. in the area of cryo-EM, x-ray crystallography, or electrophysiology (biophysics). Please visit and see the lab website (http://furukawalab.labsites.cshl.edu/) before you apply and send CV with a brief research statement as well as 2-3 contacts for references to furukawa at cshl.edu<mailto:furukawa at cshl.edu>.