[3dem] corrosion on cryo-holder & inside pumping station

Bowman, Valorie D vdb at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 13 07:38:26 PDT 2016

Dear Mike, Tommi, All,

Although the turbo pumps are touted as "oil free" that's only relatively true when compared to the old fashioned rotary vaned pumps.  The turbo pumps all have a oil cassette in them to keep the turbo lubricated.  That's the source of your oil (see red below).

It is very dangerous to your turbo pump to vent by withdrawing the holder, even if you have closed the butterfly valves to (in theory) isolate the ports from the turbo. "An uncontrolled burst of gas" can cause your turbo to wobble & hit the sides and cause a gouge in the metal fins or shaft.  Someone did that to mine!  It was too bad to get rebuilt-- I had to replace it. ($$$)    I rewrote the procedure to include SHUTTING DOWN THE PUMP before removing the holders.  We vent by opening one of the other unused ports to go to atmosphere rather than yanking on the O ring.

Valorie Bowman

vdb at purdue.edu
494-5643
EM Facility Laboratory Manager/