[3dem] contamination in cryo samples

Henning Stahlberg henning.stahlberg at unibas.ch
Thu Sep 1 02:17:54 PDT 2016

Dear Nadav,

Could it be that your cryo-EM grid in the column isn’t cold enough, and the contamination originates from formerly vitreous ice which sublimates and re-crystallizes on the surface of the ice layer?
Are your holders sufficiently pre-cooled, and are you sure they aren't touching anything warm on the inside of the microscope?

Henning.

Henning Stahlberg, PhD
Prof. for Structural Biology, C-CINA, Biozentrum, University Basel
Mattenstrasse 26 | D-BSSE | WRO-1058 | CH-4058 Basel | Switzerland
http://c-cina.org | Tel. +41-61-387 32 62